- Has rock-solid reliability and validity, with built-in control for social desirability.
- Demonstrates that different behaviors are neither good nor bad but simply different ways of dealing with conflict.
- Can be used with the MBTI® assessment for deeper insights into personality and conflict management.
Thomas-Kilmann Conflict Mode Instrument (TKITM)
The Thomas-Kilmann Conflict Mode Instrument (TKITM) tool is the world’s best-selling tool for helping people understand how different conflict-handling styles affect interpersonal and group dynamics—and for empowering them to choose the appropriate style for any situation.
The TKI tool assesses an individual’s typical behavior in conflict situations and describes it along two dimensions: assertiveness and cooperativeness. It provides detailed information about how that individual can effectively use five different conflict-handling modes, or styles.
Explore the TKI Model
Hover over the graphics below that explain the five conflict-handling styles.
Why It’s Popular
The TKI tool is the world’s best-selling conflict management assessment because it:
- Facilitates learning to use five practical, situation-specific styles for dealing with conflict effectively (competing, collaborating, compromising, avoiding, accommodating)
- Helps trainers, managers, and other professionals open productive one-on-one and group discussions around conflict
- Reflects today’s gender, racial, ethnic, age, and job-level diversity in the workplace—based on an updated normative sample
- Is quick (30 items, takes just 15 minutes) and easy to understand, and requires no special training or certification to administer
- Is backed by excellent support and guidance through CPP’s global distributor network
“Developing effective conflict management as a core competency can be accomplished easily with the Thomas-Kilmann Conflict Mode Instrument and can generate an immediate and measurable return on the investment.”
Dr. Randall Wade, Business Technology Chair
Rogue Community College
"I regularly use the MBTI® and TKI assessments in my workshops for Supervision, Team Building, and Interpersonal Communication Skills. Both instruments give the participants wonderful insights into their personalities and behaviors which results in high performing individuals and teams and ultimately, stronger outcomes for their businesses."
Charles W. Shearin, Ph.D., President
How It Helps
The TKI assessment is ideal for a wide range of applications, including:
- Conflict management—to identify different conflict-handling styles and to learn how to choose the appropriate style for any situation
- Team building—improves team functioning by helping members reconcile differences and work together more effectively
Leadership development—enhances leaders’ conflict management skills
- Performance improvement—helps eliminate barriers to effective performance
- Stress reduction—gives employees the capacity and tools to identify and manage workplace stress
- Retention—helps employees be successful, improve morale, and stay engaged in order to build a stronger organization and retain the best talent
Featured Case Studies
Program Leverages Key Assessments from CPP, Inc., to Generate
Self-Awareness and Build Organization-Wide Leadership Ability
Learn more »
Call Centers Can Increase Customer Satisfaction Through Effective Conflict Management: New Study Finds That Call Reps' Preferred Conflict-Handling Styles Affect Customer Satisfaction
Learn more »
CPP Provides Leadership Development Program for the San Francisco Child Abuse Prevention Center’s New Management Team
Learn more »
TKI Brand Portfolio
A comprehensive suite of support materials is available to help you quickly and easily begin using the TKI tool. This product line gives you the knowledge and confidence to be an effective coach for your clients and to help them start managing conflict immediately and productively.
TKITM Key Highlights
- Provides two options for assessment—TKI Profile and Interpretive Report (online) or self-scorable booklet (paper-and-pencil format)
- Offers a variety of support materials, including booklets, digital activities, and content-packed training programs to effectively deliver workshops
No certification required
This easy-to-use tool requires no special training to administer and interpret. There is no certification or educational eligibility requirement, so you can purchase and begin using the TKI assessment with your clients immediately.