- Used by 89 of Fortune 100 companies to maximize individual and team effectiveness from entry to executive levels.
- Selected by the nation’s top colleges and universities and by institutions worldwide as the foundational tool for student and alumni career development.
- Backed by more than fifty years of scientific research and ongoing global development.
View the Myers-Briggs history infographic
Myers-Briggs Type Indicator® (MBTI®)
The Myers-Briggs Type Indicator® (MBTI®) assessment has helped millions of people worldwide gain insights about themselves and how they interact with others—and improve how they communicate, learn, and work. It provides a powerful framework for building better relationships, driving positive change, harnessing innovation, and achieving excellence.
The MBTI assessment makes Carl Jung's theory of psychological type both understandable and highly practical by helping individuals identify their preferences in four areas (see graphic below).
This Is Not a Test… (Personality or Otherwise)
This powerful tool is often mistakenly referred to as the Myers-Briggs test or the personality test, however it’s not actually a test at all. Learn why the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator should never be referred to as a personality test here.
Why It's Popular
The Myers-Briggs assessment is the world’s most trusted personality assessment because it is:
- Easy to grasp, insightful, and thought provoking
- Reliable and valid, backed by ongoing global research and development investment
- Highly flexible in terms of administration options and applications
- Available in 20+ languages—with new translations in the pipeline and with culturally appropriate norms for each country for which a translation is available
- Backed by excellent support and guidance through CPP’s global distributor network
“We’re using the MBTI assessment not simply because it is interesting but primarily because it produces tangible results.
We evaluated plenty of tools, and if it didn’t work for us we would have moved on to something else.”
Peter Straley, CEO
Health New England
“The MBTI assessment is highly regarded as a diagnostic tool for team environments and effectively assists project team members in recognising each other’s attributes in constructive ways. The vast majority of team interventions at Shell utilise MBTI profiling.”
Rob Hart, Learning Division Manager
“In college-age people, the MBTI Step II and Strong assessments can bring about a two-year jump in maturity and confidence in two weeks. I see it all the time.”
Darlene Garcia, Career Counselor
How It Helps
The MBTI assessment is ideal for a wide range of applications, including:
- Team development—helps ease communication among team members, identify team strengths and weaknesses, and create action plans for improved performance
- Leadership development—deepens leaders’ understanding of their personality type and the types of those they are leading to help them manage better, give more meaningful feedback, and improve individual and team performance
- Conflict management—improves skills in identifying sources of conflict and intervening early to prevent underperformance, disruption, and disengagement
- Stress management—builds resilience, increases productivity, and offers strategies for identifying and managing stress triggers
- Career transition and planning—helps guide individuals on career choice, development, and management
Featured Case Studies
Bridges the Leadership Gap with a Comprehensive Development Program for Crewleaders
Learn more »
Using Myers-Briggs® Personality Type Indicator to Create a Culture Adapted to the 21st Century.
Learn more »
Using the Myers-Briggs® Instrument to Cultivate a Culture of Respect.
Learn more »
Using Myers-Briggs® Personality Type to Set Students on the Path to a Successful, Fulfilling Life.
Learn more »
MBTI® Brand Portfolio
There are different forms of the MBTI assessment to address different needs.
- MBTI Step I (Form M): Identifies an individual's 4-letter personality type (made up of four basic preferences) and provides a common language for how we interact with the world and each other. The insights gained provide a framework for tackling a broad range of issues that can be applied in both professional and personal situations.
- MBTI Step II (Form Q): Delves beyond the 4-letter type framework proposed by Step I and uncovers the many different facets of type that make each individual unique. These deeply personalized insights are perfect for coaching, action planning and building cohesive teams.
As a practitioner, you can choose which version of the instrument will best suit the specific development goals for a given opportunity.
MBTI Step I™ (Form M) Key Highlights
- 93 items, available in print and online formats, takes approximately 20 minutes to complete
- Powerful application and problem solving over a broad range of issues, from stress management to communication to innovation
- Identifies individuals’ 4-letter Myers-Briggs personality type code (e.g. ESTJ)
- Provides a common language for describing how individuals interact with each other and the world around them
- Generates a variety of in-depth reports to support applications, including communication, stress management, decision-making, team dynamics and more
MBTI Step II™ (Form Q) Key Highlights
- 144 items (including the 93 Step I items), available in print and online formats, takes approximately 35 minutes to complete
- Drills down to a finer level of detail to explore how individuals of the same personality type may express their personality differently
- Provides individuals’ 4-letter Myers-Briggs personality type code plus results on 20 facets of that type
- Provides in-depth development actions across a range of important individual issues
- Generates two reports: Profile and Interpretive Report
There are two routes to eligibility:
- MBTI® Certification Program
The MBTI® Certification Program prepares participants to use and purchase the MBTI® Step I™ and Step II™ instruments. The four-day workshop is highly interactive and provides many opportunities to practice presenting the MBTI instruments and interpreting results in a variety of situations: with teams and groups, with individuals, and in coaching. Learn more about becoming an MBTI® Certified Practitioner.
- Educational Eligibility
Many practitioners are able to purchase CPP products right away by verifying their educational and/or professional license eligibility. If you hold a master’s or doctoral degree in psychology or a related field and/or hold a specific state license or national or state certification, you are considered educationally eligible. If you hold the appropriate credentials, applying for eligibility is as simple as completing a brief form. Learn more about Educational Eligibility Requirements.