- Used by 89 of Fortune 100 companies to maximize individual and
team effectiveness from entry to executive levels.
- Selected by the nation’s top colleges and universities and by
institutions worldwide as the foundational tool for student and
alumni career development.
- Backed by more than fifty years of scientific research and ongoing
View the Myers-Briggs history infographic
- Common criticisms of the MBTI are misguided.
Myers-Briggs Type Indicator® (MBTI®)
The Myers-Briggs Type Indicator® (MBTI®) assessment has helped
millions of people worldwide gain insights about themselves and how they
interact with others—and improve how they communicate, learn, and work.
It provides a powerful framework for building better relationships, driving
positive change, harnessing innovation, and achieving excellence. The MBTI
assessment makes Carl Jung's theory of psychological type both understandable
and highly practical by helping individuals identify their preferences in
four areas (see graphic below).
This Is Not a Test… (Personality or Otherwise)
This powerful tool is often mistakenly referred to as the Myers Briggs test or the personality test, however it’s not actually a test at all. Learn
why the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator should never be referred to as a personality
Why It's Popular
The Myers-Briggs assessment is the world’s most trusted personality assessment
because it is:
- Easy to grasp, insightful, and thought provoking
- Reliable and valid, backed by ongoing global research and development
- Highly flexible in terms of administration options and applications
- Available in 20+ languages—with new translations in the pipeline
and with culturally appropriate norms for each country for which a translation
- Backed by excellent support and guidance through CPP’s global distributor
“We’re using the MBTI assessment not simply because it is
interesting but primarily because it produces tangible results.
We evaluated plenty of tools, and if it didn’t work for us
we would have moved on to something else.”
Peter Straley, CEO
Health New England
“The MBTI assessment is highly regarded as a diagnostic tool
for team environments and effectively assists project team members
in recognising each other’s attributes in constructive ways.
The vast majority of team interventions at Shell utilise MBTI
Rob Hart, Learning Division Manager
“In college-age people, the MBTI Step II and Strong assessments
can bring about a two-year jump in maturity and confidence in
two weeks. I see it all the time.”
Darlene Garcia, Career Counselor
How It Helps
MBTI® Assessment on Colbert!
The MBTI assessment is ideal for a wide range of applications, including:
- Team development—helps ease communication among team members, identify
team strengths and weaknesses, and create action plans for improved
- Leadership development—deepens leaders’ understanding of their personality
type and the types of those they are leading to help them manage better,
give more meaningful feedback, and improve individual and team performance
- Conflict management—improves skills in identifying sources of conflict
and intervening early to prevent underperformance, disruption, and disengagement
- Stress management—builds resilience, increases productivity, and
offers strategies for identifying and managing stress triggers
- Career transition and planning—helps guide individuals on career
choice, development, and management
Featured Case Studies
Bridges the Leadership Gap with a Comprehensive Development
Program for Crewleaders
Learn more »
Using Myers-Briggs® Personality Type Indicator
to Create a Culture Adapted to the 21st Century.
Learn more »
Using the Myers-Briggs® Instrument to Cultivate
a Culture of Respect.
Learn more »
Using Myers-Briggs® Personality Type to Set Students
on the Path to a Successful, Fulfilling Life.
MBTI Brand Portfolio
There are different forms of the MBTI assessment to address different
- MBTI Step I (Form M): Identifies an individual's 4-letter personality
type (made up of four basic preferences) and provides a common language
for how we interact with the world and each other. The insights gained
provide a framework for tackling a broad range of issues that can be
applied in both professional and personal situations.
- MBTI Step II (Form Q): Delves beyond the 4-letter type framework
proposed by Step I and uncovers the many different facets of type that
make each individual unique. These deeply personalized insights are
perfect for coaching, action planning and building cohesive teams.
As a practitioner, you can choose which version of the instrument will
best suit the specific development goals for a given opportunity.
MBTI Step I™ (Form M) Key Highlights
- 93 items, available in print and online formats, takes approximately
20 minutes to complete
- Powerful application and problem solving over a broad range
of issues, from stress management to communication to innovation
- Identifies individuals’ 4-letter Myers-Briggs personality
type code (e.g. ESTJ)
- Provides a common language for describing how individuals
interact with each other and the world around them
- Generates a variety of in-depth reports to support applications,
including communication, stress management, decision-making,
team dynamics and more
MBTI Step II™ (Form Q) Key Highlights
- 144 items (including the 93 Step I items), available in
print and online formats, takes approximately 35 minutes to
- Drills down to a finer level of detail to explore how individuals
of the same personality type may express their personality differently
- Provides individuals’ 4-letter Myers-Briggs personality
type code plus results on 20 facets of that type
- Provides in-depth development actions across a range of
important individual issues
- Generates two reports: Profile and Interpretive Report
There are two routes to eligibility:
The MBTI® Certification Program prepares participants to use
and purchase the MBTI® Step I™ and Step II™ instruments. The four-day
workshop is highly interactive and provides many opportunities to
practice presenting the MBTI instruments and interpreting results
in a variety of situations: with teams and groups, with individuals,
and in coaching. Learn more about becoming an
- Educational Eligibility
Many practitioners are able to purchase CPP products right away
by verifying their educational and/or professional license eligibility.
If you hold a master’s or doctoral degree in psychology or a related
field and/or hold a specific state license or national or state
certification, you are considered educationally eligible. If you
hold the appropriate credentials, applying for eligibility is as
simple as completing a brief form. Learn more about